Monday, August 6, 2012

a repurposed garden tool, garden gate

Here is my latest project- a repurposed garden tool, garden gate.  If you recall, this is not on my prescribed list of garden projects for 2012, but this project actually represents me creeping up on a bigger project- a fence for the front yard.  It is kind of a long story how, but trust me, I am making progress on that project, slowly.
Before- a fine gate.
This gate is a replacement for a perfectly good gate I built about 12 years ago.   There is nothing wrong with this gate, but it was not really interesting, nor was it especially inviting.
After- an interesting and inviting entrance into the garden.
Thinking back to 12 years ago in the garden, the gate basically describes the garden, too.  There was not a whole lot going on, and the main objective was to gain some privacy.  
Now that the garden has matured, privacy is provided by trees, shrubs and other structures, and the old gate seemed like an unwelcoming impediment to the garden beyond.
So I took this as an opportunity to add a little creativity and art to the garden, while at the same time, opening up the backyard and connecting the side yard to the back.
As with most of my projects, all the wood (cedar 2x stock), garden tools, and hardware were all recycled and came from Home ReSource (have I mentioned I enjoy shopping there?).

Using garden tools seems fitting as both an entrance to the garden, and to describe the hobbies of the homeowners.
This gate is just down the path from the new trellis I made earlier this year, and there are obvious similarities.
 I think this gate provides a sense of separation, yet allows a nice flow or continuity to the garden.
In case you are wondering, the old, perfectly good gate won't go to waste.  I am going to reuse the screws and cedar fence boards, and the frame and other hardware I'll donate to Home ReSource (where I will probably end up buying them for another project someday!).

6 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic gate. The old one was fine--functional--but as you said not particularly welcoming. The new one is, I'd say, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I like the look of your original garden gate (I think I'm going to make a similar one in the near future) the new one is great. I thought the trellis you made with the re-purposed tools was cool, the re-purposed tool gate looks just incredible. Well done and I'm very impressed with your newest project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I am glad to stop by your site and know more about landscapers. Keep it up! This is a good read. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about landscapers in your area.
    Landscaping is both science and art, and requires good observation and design skills. A good landscaper understands the elements of nature and construction and blends them accordingly.
    Our landscapers are friendly and courteous, and most have been with us for years. They show up reliably and act professionally, leaving your lawn looking manicured.
    landscapers Peabody ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Browsing the web for garden ideas/inspiration...tired of winter already...dreaming of my toes and fingers in the dirt...when I came across this site. Love it and definitely on my 2013 Garden To Do List! ~ Angie for Powell, WY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your gate is inspiring! Your link to Home ReSource when clicked on goes to a Malicious Website that my security blocked. So BEWARE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! I am putting together a Round-up of Garden Projects for my blog, Sadie Seasongoods, and would love to include this project in it. I would include one photo (which would be linked to your blog) as well as a hyperlink of the name of the project. Could you email me at sadieseasongoods@yahoo.com if you are interested? I always like to ask permission first. :) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete